Monday, February 13, 2012

How to Eat Healthy

Hello Everyone.
I still am harvesting BROCCOLI and SPINACH! They taste amazing and best of all I grew them in my back yard garden. Some I have frozen, some is shared with family and friends, and Pat (my son) and I have ate most of it. BROCCOLI and SPINACH are two of the most nutrient dense foods the body can use to stay healthy. They both are rich in antitoxins and vitamins. Grown from your own garden, without chemicals and pesticides, you know that you are getting the best food quality, at a great value, straight from a sustainable source... You!
How do we eat all of this awesome produce you might ask. Green smoothies are a wonderful way to get your "greens" in everyday (smile, it is not as bad as one might think :) ).  There are many , many ways to have a "green smoothie". This is my basic, go to for everyday, smoothie:
                                * 2 cups spinach
                                * 1 cup frozen berries (strawberries or blueberries)
                                * 1/2 cup water (more or less depending on how thick you
                                                            like your smoothie   
                                * sweetener if needed (I use agave)
I put all of the ingredients in a Vitamix and in 10 sec.  have a smooth green smoothie. A magic bullet might work too, though I have not used one before.
KALE is very important in most of my smoothies too, I know... alot of people do not want to think about kale, it's ok, we will get there together. Maybe, in the future, I will do an entire blog on the benefits of kale.
Feel free to experiment, experiment, experiment !!! The idea is to get over half of your days intake of nutrition via raw , healthy, natural food. You can add a multitude of produce to you smoothie. Frozen pineapple is very good, frozen grapes, frozen bananas , an apple, carrots, broccoli, and romaine lettuce too!!! Personally, the only thing I do not care for in my smoothies is cucumbers . Smoothies are not the only way to get your greens. SALAD is always good, remember to use produce that is in season (I do not care how great those tomatoes look in the store in February they are not in season).

BROCCOLI at my house is usually ate raw in a salad or in a smoothie. Last night I made an amazing BROCCOLI cheese soup in the Vitamix.

No comments:

Post a Comment